How to Strengthen Your Core
Fitness - by Tilton FitnessJanuary 15, 2020
Every move we make stems from our core. Our core is critical in maintaining proper posture, balance, and functional strength. Having a strong core will also help reduce the chance of injury from everyday tasks and your exercise program.
There are several ways to strengthen your core, and they don't include crunches or sit-ups! Below we will go over a few you can practice at home, or while at your favorite Tilton Fitness New Jersey fitness location!
1. To tighten your core, bring your belly button to your spine. Engage your midsection, mimicking the feeling of a cough. Practice this throughout your day and especially during strength training or when lifting any object.
2. Pay attention to your posture throughout the day. (Stand tall with your shoulders back and down, away from your ears.) Correct posture and core strength go hand in hand.
3. Incorporate unilateral and functional movements. Squats are one of the best functional movements to use in your program. Also, try standing on one leg with alternating bicep curls. Merely carrying a weight in one hand while keeping proper posture will challenge your core too.
4. Perform core stabilization exercises like planks, side planks, bridges, and bird dog.
5. For more advancements, movements consider incorporating different fitness training devices like the BOSU and TRX.
As always, consult with your doctor before beginning an exercise program. Consider working with a personal trainer for more ideas on how to build core strength.
For more tips on strengthening your core, speak to the staff at your favorite Tilton Fitness NJ fitness location! Find one near you by CLICKING HERE today!